Sunday, March 21, 2010

Me the athlete

Comments from strangers have been encouraging me to keep up my blogging so hear goes. . . an exploration of trying new things.

This fall I took up volleyball. Now you must understand that I am super unathletic. I played volleyball until I reached Grade 8 in a small school where everyone made the team and I still spent a significant time on the bench. I blame my slow reflexes on learning volleyball using a balloon and the back of our coach as the net. My family would say that I was pretty quick at swatting that balloon away from the book that I was reading. They are right. I was really more part of the net then a participant of the game.

However, since I am in a new place, I took up volleyball after meeting the team leader at a community booth during the fall sign up for sports and other things. My team was a great team. They did not get frustrated at my inability to set, block or spike. I can bump and underhand serve. That was the extent of my skills.

This weekend, we had our closing tournament. On Saturday, we played 7 different volleyball matches. It was tiring and yet so satisfying. I could see my improvement of skills. Once I jumped up to block a spike and even got a piece of the ball. The team sometimes even sets to me so that I can hit over the net. They place me in their line up because I have good sets for one of our major hitters. Me?!?!

So I have been inspired to continue trying new things -maybe even athletic things. Let's see I could try serving overhand, throwing a ball (my dad would appreciate it if I threw like a girl instead of like a baby) or swinging a golf club without inducing laughter from spectators at seeing the little white ball land less than a foot away. Yes it is possible to suck that badly.

What comes next? That is something that I too would like to know.

8 comments:

jerlight said...

yay! a blog from my sis! thanks for the update.

nicole said...

you go girl...maybe try a 1/2 marathon!!

Anonymous said...

Have been checking in about once a week to see if you've updated your blog. Glad to see you have. Also glad to read that you are still out there trying new things. Good for you. An inspiration to us all.

-gina-

Anonymous said...

Oops, I just realized that I left my "internet world" name of Gina. Sorry about that. Actually, my real name is Annah. I get used to using the made up name on line and forgot who I was for a minute. :-)

佳怡 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I too have been checking in on your blog once in a while from Texas. I stumbled across it some time back after checking my friend's blog. I like the way you write about things. There's something quiet and peaceful about it, and it just seems to go so well with the "middle of nowhere" concept.

Good for you for trying new things. I've been trying to step out of my comfort zone as well this year. It's been good.

Good luck to you in your continued endeavors!

Veronica

Jen L said...

I am going to have to change my concept. I am no longer in the middle of nowhere but rather on the edges of it. I joke about living in a metropolis of 6000 people. Yes for some this would be the boonies.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, 6000 is still in the realm of the "middle of nowhere" concept for me. :) Regardless, I know it must be beautiful. I've only been to Toronto & Montreal,(loved both), but I know the middle and western parts of Canada are breathtaking.

Veronica