Sunday, September 24, 2006

Happenings

This week I actually had a chance to do somethings that were not really school related. I have been bugging community members for awhile to take me berry picking. I wanted to get me some bog cranberries. Finally, one of my students couldn't stand my annoying demands and relented and took me with her and her little brother. Apparently the berries are right in Trout Lake, in the bushes. I love walking through the bush here because the ground is covered with soft and deep moss - so typical of bog land. And in admidst the moss were low cranberry bushes with yummy tart cranberries.

It was cool hanging out with a student outside of school. I gathered a lot of interesting information about her family - they do talk about their dead dad and their mother is in Peerless with a new sibling. I also learned some interesting cultural information that emphasized once again our uphill struggle as educators. My student was talking about a girl in the community who is 4 and talks like a local six year old - a very developed vocabulary. My student exclaimed, "She is too young to talk like that." In our society we celebrate those that have advanced communication skills but here . . . Then my student mentioned, "Did you know that it is bad luck to teach your kid how to count before they are three? When ever my nephew (who is 8 months old) touches his fingers, we slap his hand because it is bad luck." I was aghast. No "One, Two, Three Jump"? No self discovery as a child. No wonder our kindergarten kids are only up to counting to four right now and my high school students are so frustrated.

I am not saying that their culture should change. Rather maybe our education system should be changed in order to accomodate their culture. I used to have all the "answers" but now after living here, I am not even sure what the questions are.

On Tuesday, we had a track and field meet in Peerless. It was cold and dreary and the students did not participate as much as I would have liked. But it was fun to see new students and teacher aquaintances. However, at that time I missed my friends from last year the most that I ever have. They should have been there. We should have had our debriefing session afterwards with a bottle of beer or other adult beverage. We should have been able to laugh together about certain situations that only we would find funny. But no instead there was a stranger running the shot put. A stranger that had no idea that our students had once practiced with rocks because our school did not own a shot put. A stranger who does not know that our students are incredibly capable especially at getting out of things that they should do - like participate.

I miss you my friends.

No comments: