Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I wish that I could just talk about the snow

Really it was the snow that started it. Or rather the melting and freezing cycle that had created a huge patch of ice (otherwise known as the school yard). It was that slipperyness that has created a new direction in my life that I am reluctantly turning in. Although honestly it just feels like I am turning around in circles.

Two Monday's ago, my principal slipped on the school yard ice. She couldn't get up. The whole staff worked together to put her into her vehicle. Someone drove her to Slave just to check and make sure that all was OK. It wasn't. By that afternoon, she had been air-vaced to Edmonton and the next day she underwent a hip replacement surgery. The school was leaderless.

So who did they put at the helm? Me. It is different than last year's stint as a principal. This time they hired another teacher temporarily and made me THE principal. I sit in my office and shuffle papers. Literally. I feel like I move them from one pile to another. Every time I get something accomplished, that act of accomplishment creates 3 more things to do. My list grows instead of shrinks.

I almost cried when I told some of my students. Even though they are putzes, I am going to miss teaching them and bugging them everyday. I think that they may even miss me too. I hope that I can make some improvements in the 6 or 8 weeks that I am at the helm (or longer). I don't think that it is long enough to complete destroy the school.

And yes about the snow. We got a dump. A veritable storm with drifts that reached the top of doorways. One morning, I had to squeeze out of my door because I could only open it about 10 inches. Walking to the school was a workout with snow filling my boots. The buses couldn't run because they were snowed in. It is April in a week or so isn't it? Oh right, it is actually May in a week or so. My bad.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I hope you can figure out this principal thing..and that the snow melts. I really hope that your snow melts.

Anonymous said...

Love to you, dear girl!
wow

Amy.E said...

What a change! That should definitely keep you on your toes! I'm wishing you lots of patience and wisdom. I haven't heard anything yet about spring being canceled for 2008, so I promise it will make it there...some day!