Sunday, May 25, 2008

Here Fishy Fishy

So today I got a call from my neighbour and coworker to see what trouble I was up to. I was a little worried because I was trying to learn a new strumming pattern on my guitar and it sounded like someone was dying. I thought that maybe he had heard the cacaphony and decided to call to see if everything was all right. But no that wasn't it at all. He and his wife were heading to Sucker Creek to catch some fish and were wondering if I wanted to come and since the sky was blue and it was such a glorious day, I decided to go. So I got on my fishing gear - yellow rubber boots and capris - and we were off.

Now this was not your typical fishing adventure because we were on foot and had no fishing rods. We were going to catch the fish with our bare hands. I am not making this up.

On our walk downstream, I caught alot of fins that wiggled away. But on our journey back upstream I started to learn the trick. The trick is to go to the river banks and feel under the banks for slimy fish backs and then slowly tickly your fingers alone until you feel the head. Then you put your other hand underneath the fish - slowly, slowly - and SQUEEZE and hold on to the fish with all your might.

Now I HATE putting my hands in places that I can not see. I am always scared that another dead hand will reach out and grab my hand. Completely irrational I know. BUT I CONQUERED MY FEAR. I felt along the dark places for slimy fish backs and I actually cought some.

Then my cruel streak set in. I would put the fish in the water but wouldn't let go (because we were catching and releasing the sucker fish). I would tickle its sides and stomach and try to relax it a bit. Then I would slowly let go. If it didn't swim away right away, I would catch it again.

Fishing with your hands was super fun. By the time we were done, my boots splashed water out of them everytime I took a step and my capris were wet from top to bottom. My feet and fingers were numb because at some parts of the creek, where the sun doesn't shine, the ice was still about 6 inches thick. BRRR.

2 comments:

jerlight said...

man, that sounds like a lot of fun!! I think I would be scared of the dead hand, too...

nicole said...

Bravo...you conquered your fear!