Sunday, September 21, 2008

Exercises

This year, we are trying to get a library for this school up and running. All of the books are in the old NLC trailer. On Friday evenings, the four of us go and sort the books. We went last Friday and this past Friday. It is slow going but we hope that by having the books accessible to students, they will read more often. Often we wonder if it in exercise in futility.

After spending 4 plus hours in the library last Friday, we ran into a depressing road block. I was working at the the school Sunday evening when I started to hear dogs barking, kids running and general commotion. A student knocked on the school door, where I was talking to some teachers. "Some kids are in the library." One teacher took off to chase the culprit down. The rest of us went to go check out the damage. Inside the library we saw carefully stacked books toppled over. In a clearing by the library, we saw charred remains of books. Later we heard that some of the students thought it would be cool to pee in the corner.

We found out later that one of the doors to the library doesn't lock properly. So the kids did not break and enter. Yet they did not use their common sense and used their discovery for chaos, vandalism and evil. It was very frustrating for the 4 that had worked on the library. We had to spend the rest of out evening transferring a lock to the culprit door and phoning parents.

However, we refuse to let that keep us down and this Friday we were back in the library sorting books once again. I got the picture book section all sorted alphabetically. Now we just have the novels and non-fiction to deal with. And the fact that we don't have enough shelving space. I never realized that opening a library is such hard work. On Saturday morning, I woke up in pain. My thighs were so sore. I realized that Friday evening, I had to put books on the top shelf and then the bottom shelf. I don't know how many squats I did but I sure felt it the next day.

2 comments:

Steve, Lisa, Katelyn, Naleah, and Alexa said...

Wow, Jen I just read about all of your adventures since you have returned... you are in my prayers. When feelings of frustration, exhaustion and giving up come, know that God is your strength and even though we may never see our fruits (or the point) of what we do here on earth, we will be amazed when you get to heaven. I pray that you can continue to seek Him alone for strength and guidance as you continue on your endeavors up North.
I miss you. You are an inspiration.

bevie said...

Hey Jen... sounds like quite the task you have going on there! You have such an amazing heart, i am praying that the struggles won't pull down and that you will be an effective witness to the students and teachers you are working with.