Sunday, October 05, 2008

Creative Saturday

On Saturday I decided to be creative instead of lolling around procrastinating the short journey to the school. So I pulled out my sewing machine - made out of all plastic parts and designed for a child- and started sewing. I am not going to paste pictures of my creation because I have a cousin who does lovely sewing projects and posts pictures all the time. My creation is not lovely. It has visible and stray threads, crooked lines of sewing. pieces that don't match up in size. It looks rustic. It looks like a child on a child's sewing machine created it. I would blame the sewing machine but that wouldn't be fair.

Nontheless I am proud of my creation. It is a green, rice bag snake complete with a red mouth, button eyes and a tail. Today I gave it to the ECS teacher so that her students can cuddle with it and be grounded with its heaviness.

I have forgotten how much joy one can get by creating and giving. I read an article this week in Reader's Digest about the health benefits of gratitude. I am making a pledge to find three things that I am grateful for everyday and writing them down. Here is today's list.

1. I am grateful sweet potatoes soup and corn bread. Good home cooking.
2. I am grateful for the joy that giving gives the giver and the reciever. Giving makes the world a better place.
3. I am grateful for the internet and how it can connect people together and can help us pay our bills on time. Honestly I don't know how I would have survived in Trout Lake prior to the age of internet.

2 comments:

nicole said...

you should have posted a photo of your rice bag snake!!

Anonymous said...

I too am grateful for the internet, so I can hear your 'voice' and get some idea of how you might be doing....