Sunday, January 11, 2009

Plus ca change

It was the first week back at school. Or was it. It didn't seem like it. I shouldn't complain though because the chaos of this week has been caused by the pain of others. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a death in the community prior to Christmas holidays. They had the funeral the first day after Christmas break.

When I returned to Trout, there was another funeral on the Saturday. An elder that passed away on Christmas eve. On Monday I returned to school and had very few students. The students that I did have were exhausted. Not surprising after Christmas holidays. Then they informed me that they were up all night at the wake. "The wake!!" I exclaimed, "The funeral already happened." But no, there was another death on New Years Eve as well. Both of these deaths were elders of the community but still the pain of three funerals in three weeks in a community of 400 . . . My heart aches.

So Monday was the wake. Tuesday was the funeral. Wednesday all of the students went home at 11:00 because of propane smells in the school. Thursday was a staff meeting (all the students left at 2:00). Friday was the typical half day. It feels like school hasn't really started.

So . . . in the effort of celebration . . .
I took down my Christmas decorations and saw that my house looked very barren. So I sorted through for stars and hearts and red and made a Valentine's display. Me celebrating Valentine's Day. Things are dire indeed. I normally wear black on that day.
I invited myself to another teachers for supper last night and then pulled out the Wii. Guitar Hero and Winter Sports equals a good time. It was good to laugh with fellow teachers and not talk about school at all.
It looks like I will be celebrating my next birthday in New York City. I find that VERY exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New York? details please, my dear daughter!

Susan said...

Hey Jen..just wanted to say it was great to see you over Christmas. You look so beautiful!

I'm sorry things are difficult..I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.