Friday, April 09, 2010

Goals

I am not known for spending money on myself but after a visit with the family including a visit to the local jewellery store, I thought it might be OK to buy myself some jewellery and other things - since no one else is buying it for me :). But I decided that in order to buy something, I need to set and meet a goal. At first I could not think of any goals, being practically perfect in everyway (hahahah), but then a whole host of goal ideas presented themselves to me (humbling me by making me address my imperfections) and I am having difficulty deciding the best goal. I am not a goal setter but rather a more go with the flow type of person. Setting goals is setting myself up for failure. I avoid it when at all possible. Definitely new territory for me.

Here is a possible long list of goals.

1. Lose 10 pounds - seems like such a normal goal - bland.
2. Exercise 4 times a week for the next 3 months.
3. Make a doctor's appointment and get that checkup.
4. Stop with the constant use of the snooze button
5. Reignite my devotional and prayer life - be sure that I do them at least 5 times a week.
6. Limit my use of internet - biweekly fixes of Facebook and e-mail
7. Limit my consumption of TV - one show a day max.
8. Learn something new - knit, crochet ? ? ?
9. Revise my resume and contemplate the future.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

nicole said...

my olnly suggestion is to start with one goal and then add on another goal as you go.

the word verificaion today is "unpro"...funny.

Anonymous said...

Some great goals listed. As I don't really know you, it's difficult to offer a real opinion. (But that's never stopped me before!) If it were me I'd start with one that I was pretty sure I would be able to follow through to the end. That way I'd be more encouraged to tackle some of the others.

-Annah-

Anonymous said...

I'd agree that you would want to start with the one at which you'd be able to succeed more easily. I also think working on one of the ones where you "add" to your life vs. "take away" would be good--for example: learning something new. Sometimes when we add new behavior to our lives we wind up "crowding out" other behavior as a side effect of sorts. Maybe if you're crocheting, for example, you won't have as much time to do the things you want to cut back on anyway. Or, maybe you'll meet someone new in the process of learning how to do something new, and those new friends will occupy your time in a way that will make it less likely you'll have time to engage in behavior you're trying to cut back on. Either way, I'd start with just one or two things, and make sure you set yourself up for success. :)

Veronica in Dallas

gl said...

Jen, you're back! Haven't checked in in awhile cause you weren't posting! Good to hear your voice again.
(How did you get all the junk?)