Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Change

Friday morning I was lying in bed, dreading getting up, packing my suitcases, saying my good byes and starting the long drive north. July is a long time away and I had had such a good time with family that I didn't really want to leave. Finally I dragged myself out of bed and was stumbling to the shower when my father started talking to me. In my groggy state, what he said didn't really make any sense. Then I clued in - my grandfather had passed away that morning.

We knew this was coming-kind of. About three weeks ago we found out that he had lung cancer and the doctors gave him 3-6 months to live. Mom went out over Easter break to see him and was there on Friday. God I guess had a change in plans for him.

So there has also been a change in plans for me. I am not back in Trout Lake yet. Instead I will be flying to Ottawa tomorrow for his funeral and to see my mom's side of the family. My whole Lethbridge family is going - 8 of us- and we all got seat sale prices on West Jet. I think that that is pretty amazing.

I wish that I could spend this blog reflecting on my Grandfather's life but I never really knew the man. All I remember is him going out for coffee and bringing back doughnuts. He was a Tim Horton's fan before it was cool - before Western Canada even knew that the hockey player had opened a coffee shop. He was a gentle man, quietly laughing at the antics around him, especially the Alberta obsession with trucks. When he would come and visit, he would sit at the window and count how many pick ups would drive by. I can hear him say "Oh Barbara" to my grandmother. Best of all, I am sure that he did end up becoming a believer in Christ Jesus and that today he is spending sometime in worship. I can only imagine.

1 comment:

Amy.E said...

Jen - so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'm glad so many of you will be able to make the trip out to Ottawa together and hope that your time spent with extended family on this trip creates many new and wonderful memories.