Sunday, March 16, 2008

Played and played out

I had a tough week this week. My lent plan to get up with the sound of my alarm and not hit the snooze button was thwarted by the time change. It was all of a sudden darker and earlier in the morning. I made other sacrifices though so that I could still spend a few minutes in the "son" before heading to work. Good thing to because I needed it. There is much that I can right on here but have deleted most of it because of confidentiality issues. Even though I wouldn't put in names, I still felt odd putting something so personal on-line. I will just leave it vague by saying I had to get authorities involved in a student's life and afterwards felt like I had been played so that the student could get their own way and not have to follow rules at home. So now I am a bit fearful of the fall out. So PLEASE pray for me and wisdom in the days ahead as I may have to do some confronting or be confronted.

I need Easter. I need to get away from Trout. I need to see my family. I need to chill with friends. I need to sit in church and declare that Christ is Risen and that that is where my hope lies. I need Easter now and in a week and a week after that. For truly with out Easter, there is no hope.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Sounds like a rough week. Sorry to hear that Jen.

I just wrote this whole thing on TCI and then realized it didn't really make sense.

As for a youth who is mad and doesn't want to talk, I would give him space. Tell him "I can see you are really upset and that's okay. I would like it if we could talk about it, but I understand that right now might be hard, so I am going to come back in 15 minutes." Or something like that. Obviously if he is hurting people or himself you can't do that, but if he is just sitting and not being violent. Then try again and just empathize with him. Try to get him to tell his point of view. Don't interrupt or put your two cents in (which is very hard!) Feed back to him what he said to make sure he knows you understand and then try to talk about other ways to deal with it.

I know that it is so much easier to type this then to do it. And, if you ever get the opportunity to take this course- DO IT! It was so eye opening and changed my whole approach when I talk to kids who are upset.

Anonymous said...

Jen - so sorry your week was rotten.
Drive safely, my dear...see you soon!