Sunday, October 15, 2006

The disease

I have been keeping busy up here in Trout - lesson plans, grad committee, being principal, teacher meetings, unit plans, marking, talking, cleaning, busy, busy , busy. I am feeling a little bit stressed, However, I think that I am keeping busy so that my stress stops me from feeling the lonliness and pain around me. I fill my life with noise and music and TV so I don't have to face anything else.

So today, with the snow falling, I stopped to contemplate the week. Last weekend, one of my student's mothers overdosed on a cocktail of pills and alcohol. She was taken to the hospital (possibly air lifted out) but had an inflamed brain. On Tuesday they took her off life support and she passed away. Happy Thanksgiving.

So today I was praying for her family and my heart broke for my student. In one weekend her life was turned upside down. Her father was arrested by the cops; her mother died and now she is alone and facing Social Services, another move and extreme pain. And I wish that I was busy enough that I didn't have the time to empathize with her but rather give a rushed prayer for her comfort.

4 comments:

Jen L said...

OK hopefully everyone can comment. I changed my settings again and hopefully they will stay set so comment away. If there is a problem mom you could always e-mail me or phone me. WHat a novelty.

Anonymous said...

Well I could email - it is just more fun to comment on nancy's blog! and then there is the concept of being the comment on your own blog! Love you girl, and love your heart and passion and willingness to do God's bidding. (I'll try this as anon. to give it a test)

gl said...

Okay it worked! you don't have an exclusive team anymore!

~Nanc. said...

Oh man... now I'm out of the loop! But I'm glad I can comment on here too.

What a deep and honest post... thanks for sharing your heart... I agree with you... I think often I do the same thing. It's funny because sometimes I feel so busy and stressed and just wish I could have some time and space for myself... but then when I do get that time I feel so alone that I wish the busyness back!

What fickle people we are... May Jesus fill us both so we don't feel those voids anymore!