Sunday, October 15, 2006

My list of Thanksgiving

So one of my friends challenged all fellow bloggers to make a list of 5 things that they are thankful for. Thanks for the challenge Nancy and here I go with my list.

1. Being Canadian - we are so blessed here. I have food in abundance, more than enough money and freedom to express my opinions without fear of reprisal and being spied on by friends and family. I am healthy and have access to health care. I am very likely to live well and long. I can vote and I can worship freely. Truly something to be thankful for.

2. My family - close, extended and adopted. My family is so supportive of what I am doing and love me unconditionally. They too are healthy for which I am very thankful. But not only do I have great family, I have great extended family that pray for me - cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. And not only that but I have adopted family too - friends that are so close that I can call them family for they too love me even when I don't stay in touch. They too support and pray for me.

3. The Beauty of Creation - The varying colours of green in spring. The flowers and fruit in summer. The riotous colours of fall and even the white softness of winter. I love all seasons. Right now it is snowing and I am thankful. I could also mention other aspects of creation. The inticracies of the bogs, the sunsets of the prairies, the beauty of the mountains, the way the universe is exactly as it needs to be for life to occur.

4. My calling - My life has purpose and direction. I am in a job that is difficult but that I love. I feel like I am making a difference in people's lives and in a community. I look back on my life and see all of the paths that led me here - Africa, Urbana, AFL summer work, Urbana, my church, university. It is all intricitely linked. "I know the plans I have for you. Plans to give you hope and a future."

5. So let's review some aspects of each of my points so far. Freedom to worship. People who pray for me. Creation. A calling in my life. So I guess that number 5 has got to be God, for without him none of this other stuff would be. My life would be random pieces that don't fit together or would not be at all. I am so glad that he is here guiding me, comforting me and being my friend.

All gratitude and thankfulness point back to Him.

2 comments:

~Nanc. said...

Oh well here you are... I just finally checked your blog tonight and saw that you did indeed heed my words. I didn't think anyone was really going to participate... but very glad to see that you did.

Such a good post... and I thought it was very cool to see how you tied it all together for #5!

~Nanc. said...

p.s. I've added you to my links... so now I'll be sure to check more frequently!